Custom Computer

I have been using a 5 year old computer, updated a few times since with hardware I am ashamed to mention.Time for a new computer.

I organised with some mates of mine to stay at their place in Melbourne while I sort my computer hardware out and purchase/build at their place. The prices in Melbourne are much better than they are in Canberra.

I will first list the components and their prices at time of purchase: 22 July 2011


The components I ended up purchasing are as follows:


Case: Antec Lanboy (link)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS IV EXTREME-Z (link)
GPU: Asus ROG Matrix Geforce GTX580 Platinum (816Mhz), 1536MB GDDR5 (4008Mhz) (link)
PSU: Corsair AX-850 (link)
RAM: Corsair 8GB PC-12800 DDR3 Vengeance Series Dual Channel (link)
CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K (3.40Ghz / 8MB / LGA1155 / Quad Core) (link)
HDD: Samsung 500GB Spinpoint F3 SATA II, 7200rpm (link)
DVD: Samsung SH-222AB 22X DVDW SATA (link)


Case:
The reason for the Antec Lanboy was not for it's stylish design, but more for it's modular ability. it comes standard with (4 x large fans with a blue LED when turned on), I chose the yellow case as this reminded me of a construction / Lego look and feel. this enhanced my decision as Lego is very modular and fun to modify.


Motherboard:
The reason for my choice of motherboard was the fact this was one of the top of the line, easy to configure and overclock motherboards, it has a very good bios and allows you to monitor and overclock using a Bluetooth to your phone or cable. I chose a socket 1155 due to the cpu requirement that I will mention later which is a socket 1155 cpu. The motherboard also allows multiple GPUs in an SLI. The motherboard much like most out at that time, offers dual gigabit nics, this will come in handy when I setup nic teaming (LACP).


Below are a couple pictures of the computer after building.